Friday, November 16, 2012

I Can't...

This week in #SheReadsTruth, we covered Colossians 3:18-25. One of the questions that was asked was "What is an area of life where you've chosen to work for man and not for God?" This really got me thinking. It struck me that there are so many areas in which I aim to please the people around me and not God. Even when I am serving, I do so to make others happy and not for the glory of God.

The other question was "Are there idols in your life that need to be replaced? What is He jealous for?" I decided that I have made an idol out of "self." Self-reliance, self-importance. Everything is about me and what I can do. But I realized that I can't. I can't do anything. I can't say yes to everything that is asked of me. I can't try to run a home, a business, and be there any and every time someone needs something from me. I can't make myself become a mother. I'm not in control of that. None of these things are in my power, yet I still act as if they are. Philippians 4:13 is for more than just running a marathon, folks. I need Christ's strength, daily and in all things. With God's help, I can do these things. It's just being brave enough to admit that I am not strong enough to do things by my power alone.

Here is a beautiful song by one of my favorite musical duos, Jenny & Tyler. It's called "Abide" and I think speaks perfectly about what I've been learning.

 


You strive, o man, and you strive again, your heart too proud to rest
You labor on, singing those songs, to cover your weakness
Do you fail to recall who you really are and Who caused you to be?
Return o man; return and rest, to a burden light and yoke easy

Abide in your Savior
Abide in His love
The labor of God is to trust in the Son

All you possess...do you forget, as if by your own strength
you earned it? No. He gave you all, everything you have.
Your righteousness, your life, your breath, your daily bread and wine,
His blood, His flesh, His love, His death, Your faith and endless life

Abide in your Savior
Abide in His love
The labor of God is to trust in the Son

Open up your doors
O my heart and soul
Open up your doors
Let the King come in
Let the King come in

Abide in me Savior
Abide in me Love
And daily I'll take my cross, follow after you Lord
Abide in me Savior
Abide in me Love
The labor of God is to trust


p.s. if you enjoyed this song, I highly encourage you to check out some of their other stuff...it's beautiful!

What has God been teaching you lately?



No comments:

Post a Comment