Monday, April 22, 2013

National Infertility Awareness Week

Today I'm welcoming Amanda from A Royal Daughter to my blog to speak with all of us about infertility. She has a beautiful heart for sharing her story with others, and I can't wait for you all to meet her!

***

Hi there, have we met before? If not let me introduce myself:

I am a country-living, ice tea drinking, good book reading, farming, ranching, Jesus-loving, curly-headed wife of a seminary professor.   He's a teacher, I'm a writer. He's a thinker, I'm a creative. Together we make our home on a small farm in Texas.

I'm so thankful that Jessi is allowing me to share my heart with you today. Jessi and I have a common passion for adoption, and for living clean, green, and healthy lives! Although she has a one up on me, I haven't taken the time to make my own laundry soap yet!

I'm here today for a very specific purpose: to help spread the word about infertility. April 21-27 is National Infertility Awareness Week, and as a woman who is currently battling infertility, I am passionate about spreading awareness about infertility.

A few facts:
  • Approximately 1 in 6 couples in the United States have been diagnosed with some level of infertility.
  • "Infertility" describes the inability to conceive after one year of unprotected, well-timed intercourse for women under the age of 35. Women 35 and older may be diagnosed after 6 months of unprotected, well-timed intercourse without conception.
  • 30% of infertility is the result of an ovulatatory dysfunction (i.e. there is a problem with the woman's ovulation cycle).
  • 30% of infertility is the result of a problem with the man (i.e. sperm structure or production).
  • Many women who face infertility describe their situation as "lonely," "isolating," and "painful."
  • There is a large spectrum of treatments for infertility, with varying degrees of invasiveness and cost.
My story:
  • My husband and I have been trying to conceive for almost 4 years.
  • We were officially diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" in February 2012 (the same month our foster boys were removed from our home).
  • We have tried various therapies and treatments, from "alternative" therapies to traditional western medical treatments.
  • We've experienced the pain and frustration of two failed IUIs.
  • Until last November my husband and I kept our struggle to ourselves. We were completely unwilling to share our story, and to some extent we were unwilling to accept our diagnosis.

National Infertility Awareness Week:
This week on my blog, A Royal Daughter, I will be dedicating the entire week to spreading awareness about infertility, offering encouragement for those battling the pain of barreness, and providing resources for friends and family of those facing infertility. Topics will include:
  • Ideas for stepping up out of the pit of infertility and converting negative emotions and energies into productive, worthwhile activities.
  • Collaborative efforts from women currently battling infertility, and how they overcame common lies women believe about being barren.
  • Online and print resources for those battling infertility as well as those who want to come alongside and encourage and support their infertile friends and family members.
  • How to encourage and support your infertile friends.
  • Owning your infertility + embracing the waiting period.
  • Collaborative efforts from women who have made it through to the other side of infertility straight to the hearts of those currently navigating the muddy waters of barreness.
  • Infertility from the husband's perspective.
There will also be a giveaway during the week with items I've hand-selected to offer encouragement to those battling infertility. My goal is to offer encouragement and inspiration not only to those currently facing the isolation and frustration of infertility, but for those who wonder how they can minister to their friends who are facing infertility.

You can connect with me at my website, on twitterfacebook, and instagram. I'm also on pinterest and google. However you decide to connect with me, please take time to introduce yourself!

I hope you'll join us, and help spread awareness about infertility.

No comments:

Post a Comment